Does God speak to you? If someone else says that God speaks to them, are they hallucinating? What are examples of God speaking to someone, both in the past and today? These are all good questions, about something very important. Let’s take a look at the subject of God speaking to people.
Voice of God
- Hebrew prophets spoke it, especially when the people went off track. They were there as a form of “feedback” or “guidance” to the people who saw themselves as ‘The People of God’.
- God spoke to individuals, not through written words so much, but through their aural senses. Some people wrote down what God had said.
- Phenomena of nature were also used (burning bush, dew on the grass, a cloud on the horizon, the sun’s position, etc.)
- Today, email has a history of misunderstandings, as people read, without tone of voice or pace to clarify the meaning of some phrases. This happens with all written documents, even the Bible. We know that reading someone’s words is not as clear a form of gathering information as listening to them speak. That’s one reason God still speaks today!
- If you do not want a more intimate relationship with God than you have now, then you have no reason to listen.
This has been my motto on the internet since 1998. I have been attacked for not having the last part be “obey”. Well, in my experience, God doesn’t always give me orders, so obeying is not the issue. Sometimes, He says “well done”. Often He laughs. At times He even hugs me because He knows I really, really need it.
- God is still talking today. You and I have much to learn from Him, and He is trying to give us a chance!
- God wants to get your attention, and He wants to spend time with you, because He loves you!
- Not all parts of the body have the same function or tasking. Because we different things we need specific directions and we get those from Him directly.
- Ask God to help you hear Him better!
- Familiarity with the God & God’s voice helps you to do this. Know what His voice sounds like by listening for it and hearing it. Soon you will be able to recognize it the same way you recognize the voice of loved ones or friends over the phone.
- Also get to know Him by reading what He wrote, and you’ll have a better idea of what He is trying to say, and of what He is like. Read it with the goal of getting to know Him better.
- Ask God to help you recognize His voice!
- The message being delivered is for you, a revelation of God to you.
- Learn how God has chosen to communicate to you, and get better at it yourself!
- He is not the God of Confusion, He is love. He wants you to want to understand!
- Ask God to help you understand Him clearer!
- Root word of “responsibility” is the ‘ability to respond’
- Humbly take quality actions and make “Godly decisions”.
- Remember that to whom much is given, much is required, so you have a greater reason to get moving now!
- Trust Him, even when what He tells you to do doesn’t make sense!
- Ask God to help you to respond.
Let’s look at this verse in several versions of the Bible in English. Note that these are the words of Christ, so many versions show them in red!
- “He that is of God, heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.” – (King James Version)
- “He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.” (New King James Version)
- “He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.” (New International Version)
- “He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.” (New American Standard Bible)
- “Anyone whose Father is God listens gladly to the words of God. Since you don’t, it proves you aren’t God’s children.” (New Living Testament)
It seems He is saying that anyone who doesn’t hear God speak, does not belong to God! That sounds pretty strict, don’t you think? I mean, how could God be so tight about this? For one thing, I can see many a wife or husband saying, “If you don’t hear me when I’m talking to you, you are not married to me.” Certainly, you can agree that if one person doesn’t hear the other communicate, then the relationship is not very good! Ignoring your spouse, your friends, your boss can all have strong consequences, don’t you think?
Well, either you do or you don’t have a personal relationship with God, there is no in-between. If you are living your life as if God is only in history, then . . . this scripture doesn’t give you much wiggle room.
Look at it another way:
What if your boss said, “If you don’t listen to me on the job, you are no longer my employee.” That makes sense!
All historical figures speak to us through words that they wrote long ago. Cicero, Aristotle, Erasmus, Isaac Newton, John Locke, Albert Einstein, and others speak to us through their written words. They have good words, filled with wisdom, yet, these people are dead, and no longer speak to us today. Dead people do not speak and anyone who says God doesn’t speak today, says that God is dead.
Let me repeat that, slower.
Dead people do not speak and anyone who says God doesn’t speak today, says that God is dead.
If you claim that God is as dead as any other historical figure, no wonder His claim on you is ignored! You deny He speaks, you deny He rose from the dead, you deny He is alive and well and in charge today!
The “Good News” is that He resurrected! Jesus did not stay dead in the grave, but rose again and is alive, today! If you have not heard, He lives! Not only that, all your faults, mistakes, flaws, and sins have been paid for! All the punishment you deserve for not being perfect has been absorbed! What happened at the Cross is very, very important. The proof that it is valid is the empty tomb!
No wonder so many “Christians” live in such submission to the world. They don’t know that God is speaking to them, they don’t know to listen for His voice. They don’t realize that He is calling them to His service, to start acting like His employees, so that His work can get done! He can you follow God’s will if you are not getting daily instructions?
But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ” (New King James Version)
It says “every word”, even those that have not been documented! We know that not all of God’s words were written down! We need daily words from God to know His will, to know what He wants us to do.
“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.” (New King James Version)
Please comment and/or respond to what you heard inside of you as you read this! Let’s share!
To see and use Personalized Scriptures, visit http://napsvbible.blog and enjoy!